jueves, 16 de septiembre de 2010

The basics (continued)

What/Where? okay, so a lot of people know why I am here in the Dominican Republic, but I'm just going to write it again to make it clear. I am working with Campus Crusade for Christ. CCC, works on college campuses throughout the world (even in the US) establishing college ministries on campuses in order to reach students for Christ.

In Spanish speaking countries this weekly or bi-weekly meeting is called Vida Estudiantil. My group and I are working on the campus of La Universidad Autónoma de Santo Domingo (La UASD.) http://uasd.edu.do/ This university is highly respected and VERY large!! (Around 160,000 students) Classes run from Monday thru Saturday 7am-10pm.

We are working on the campus in order to grow Vida Estudiantil and to spread the gospel to the students. We have huge goals for the group over this next year. We are wanting Vida Estudiantil to be completely student-run, which means lifting up leaders right now in order to take charge. Very soon the group and I will be leading discipleship groups in order to make sure these future leaders are well equipped and growing in their relationship with Christ.

When? We will be here until July of next year, and NO we cannot go home, so come visit!! :) The only thing is we will be working throughout the year and if you come it would make me VERY happy but you would probably just have to tag along with the ministry we are doing on the campus.

Why? Why am I here? For many reasons. I was teaching high school Spanish for the past couple years. Even though I loved the students in my classes, I had such a desire in order to share my complete life with students in an authentic way. I accepted Christ as my Savior when I was a sophomore in high school. I always believed there was a God, but it was only until then that I decided I was tired of living my life for me. Since that time, God has changed my life in so many ways. I have experienced what it is to have true intimacy with the one true God.

For that reason I am here. I may be going against what society tells me to do, but I know that I must tell others about this joy that I have found. I've waited for too long in order to do this. Now is my time. This is my new beginning :)

Alright, so that is the background info you get :) Anymore needed, just ask.

2 comentarios:

  1. Are you not allowed to come home, or is it just an issue where the costs, planning, etc are too difficult that you just aren't able too?

    ResponderEliminar
  2. nope...not allowed to. The only time we are allowed to is in the case that we are in a wedding or funeral. Even on vacation time we are not allowed to go back to the States. This is just for the 1 year time period...if I continue for a longer period then I would be allowed to.

    ResponderEliminar